Friday, August 8, 2008

opening a closed door

Why is the concept of knocking so hard? If a door is closed and you dont know 100% what is behind it, why wouldn't you knock? The mail man at my office does it to me all the time. UPS too. Now, I have a window right beside my door so you can clearly see if I am on the phone or in a meeting with a client. Who barges in?

My boss is on a call with a bank and a new sub just walked right into his office. No knocking, no pardon me, no nothing. Great way to make an impression you schmo. I had to go fish him out and into my office. While he was leaving, he did apologize for barging in. In typical Amy fashion, I explained that its probably best not to walk into either of our offices without knocking as the doors are generally shut for a reason. Then I explained that once I come back to work, I will be pumping and wouldn't want him to get an eye-full. (I will have blinds on my window by that point but I don't think it will stop anyone)

There is a therapist on my hall and I have overheard her clients do the same thing. Just barge right in on someone else's session. Clearly they know what is happening behind that door so why on earth would it make sense to just open it up 10 minutes before their session?

Has knocking gone the same direction as stopping at stop signs, using turn signals and letting people merge on the interstate?

No comments: