Tuesday, August 5, 2008

brain dump

Its been a couple days and I need to just dump my brain. Ever get like that? Seems like every thing just backs up in there some times. This dump is in no particular order and may be long. Sorry.

~I am still having contractions but they are getting me no where. Last Thursday after my appt I came back to work and they stayed at 10 minutes for a long time. Then about 2pm they went to 7 minutes. That got my attention. I busted out so much work! I filed and entered items like, well, it was my job. My boss commented on how feverishly I was working. I thought that was my sick style of nesting and that he was coming that night. HA! Once I got home and the drama of the comments unfolded, everything stopped. Damnit.

Heather came over and we had a wonderful meeting. I really like her a lot and know she will be a great asset at the labor and birth. She's a smart lady! We had a great time just chatting. She answered some CD (cloth diaper) questions for me too.

Since then, the ctx have been fairly steady at 10 minutes. The more I relax, the more they come.
Double edged sword I guess. Trying to decide if I want to be checked at my appt this week since it looks like I will make it that far. Not like knowing Im dilating will tell me anything but I would love to know if there is anything going on. Chances are I will pass on the who-ha inspection but we'll see.

~Brett Favre. Seems like everyone is talking about him so why not me too? Let me first say that I am by no means the football guru. I pick fantasy players based on last names (I like the fun ones!). Granted, I have done well with this method but don't really know enough to "talk" football. That said, I have thoughts. I have lost so much respect for Favre. I have seen him as a great player and a great leader. But now, I feel like he has his head up his ass so far he can't see what he is doing. Have some pride man! Make a decision and go with it. You wanted to retire and you went out on top. Now you look like a fool. How stupid to play 1-2 yrs for a team other than the Packers??? You have taken the team's focus from where it should be and you should be ashamed. Jeremy hopes you break your leg in the first game back. I won't go that far b/c I know karma is a nasty bitch but Im awfully close to it.

~I cannot get into racing lately. The races are sucking and I can't get over it. Indy... we wont even go there. Even Montreal was bad. I get testing rain tires. But on a road course? What, 1/3 of the race was actually ran? Cautions and early checkers are not what fans wanted to see. BORING! I couldn't even get into Pocono. Not looking forward to a road course this weekend either. Michigan has potential but really, Im holding out hope that Bristol grabs my attention. I need a good fight or something. It will be one of Nathan's first races and is of course, my favorite track. Thunder Valley can't let me down!

~To update the breastfeeding fiasco: She told our MW about it who in turn posted her letter on BF message boards. It spread like wild fire and got back to the local news station. They interviewed my friend for a story for Breastfeeding Awareness Week. In the process, she learned of another woman who was harassed by the same man in the same park about a week before. She stood up to him and quoted law but he, get this, shut down the water portion for 30 minutes while she finished feeding her child!! She was no where near the water. Its not like he cleaned or sanitized the area or anything. Just made everyone get out to prove he could. What a jackass. The city's response was they were sorry for his actions and he must have misunderstood the rules. He will be educated on state law. I dont think thats good enough. I think he owes both women an apology and needs to have extensive training on customer service and breast feeding. Seriously, ignorance is one thing but to lecture women about the HIV transfer from BF is ludicrous. If you dont have the knowledge to do your job, ask for resources. Dont be an ass about it.

~Friends... I have been reflecting a lot lately on family. Family that we are born to and family that we choose. I am very fortunate to have some amazing friends that are in my chosen family. I may be an only child and Jeremy only has one brother but Nathan will not be short on aunts and uncles. I look back at Orlando and Augusta and realize I/we didnt have any real friends there. We had lots of acquaintances and friends from our pasts, but nothing more than that. I think thats why we were so unhappy. Over the past few days, we have been trying to spend as much time with friends as we can before Nathan comes. We know we wont be able to have this time back and want to savor it. We had a great meal with Nancy, Brian and Quinn this weekend. It was nice to just sit for a couple hours and chat. With some people, it feels like work to sit for that long but it never does with these guys. We are all who we are and it works.

Then last night, Jeremy and I took pizza over to Michelle and Bill's beach house and had the best time. We just sat around in comfy clothes and talked for hours. Courtney even gave my belly a hug and kiss goodnight. I melted. Love that kid. This is another couple that I am always comfortable around. We dont have to get all gussied up and never feel the need to be who we arent. Sure, I have known Michelle since college but it wasn't until we moved that I really got to know her and Bill. I am SO thankful to have them as our friends. They are just the kind of people who are there for you if you need a beer or if you actually need something.

Dont get me wrong, I couldn't do without my long distance friends too (Pam and Tracey!) but I am grateful for the ones I have here too. I like that I have friends who put me in my place when I need it but also lift me up when needed. I realized the other day that this coming school year, Pam and I will have been friends for longer than we weren't. 10th grade seems so long ago but then, it seems like just a couple years ago. Funny how time works isn't it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you have your Jax family, too! Buddy is going to love growing up there! Love & miss you!