Thursday, March 20, 2008

Business of Being Born

Last night, Nancy and I watched this documentary on the status of maternity care in the US. Its the one produced by Ricki Lake and it focused on home birth. Overall, it was worth the time to watch. However, I have to say I am somewhat disappointed in their approach. Im my mind, every woman should have the opportunity to have the birth she envisions for herself, whatever that may be. This film made anything but home birth out to be wrong and scary. I dont agree with that. I mean, yes, I like that they brought up many stereotypes about those that home birth and the safety or lack there of involved. They showed how prepared midwives are when they attend a birth and how they are ready to do what needs to be done for mom and baby. BUT, they also made it out that a hospital birth has to be a traumatic event full of procedures that the mother doesnt need or want. This is not the case in many situations. Yes, there are plenty of interventions that snowball and lead to higher c-section rates and what not. I dont disagree. But many of those mothers request/expect the interventions. (ie pitocin, epidural etc)

I know someone who went to the hospital and had her epidural as planned. She had the birth she wanted for herself. Why is that wrong, bad or traumatic? Just because its not something I choose for myself does not make it a bad decision for someone else to make. Nor should it be wrong or looked down on for me choosing a birth center. Lots of women go to hospitals and have a fully natural birth. While they may have to speak up a little more and be bigger advocates for their desires, they get the birth they want. At the end of the day, that is all anyone could hope for. I just dont see what is so wrong about that.

What I do find fault with is the lack of informed consent that goes along with these interventions. I don't care if you get to induce at a day of your choosing but at least understand what the natural progression of labor should be and how drugs like pitocin interfere and can often lead to other interventions and eventually a higher risk of C-section. Same applies to an elective C. Go for it, but understand that it is major surgery. I feel like many women research their strollers and bottles for safety at a higher level of scrutiny than they do their options during birth.

I just feel that women should have options open to them and that is where I agree with the film. So many women just go to the hospital because they think "its just what you do". Nothing else could possibly be safe since there isnt a "doctor" there. This insinuates that the mother has not thought out her options in the event something goes wrong. Midwives are trained professionals. They arent just a hack with a pair of gloves. They know when to transfer to a hospital and how to screen patients throughout the pregnancy. In the case of a home birth, they make sure where the nearest hospital is. If the situation isnt safe, other plans are made. In my case, I know where I would transfer and like that they have a NICU. Just in case. I dont see where I am less responsible than the woman who chooses to go to an OB in a hospital.

Overall, I dont think this movie will have a great impact or change anyone's mind. If you are pro-home birth/ out of hospital birth, it will reaffirm your feelings. If you are pro-hospital, it will make you angry at how they portray things. I happen to agree that most women are experiencing unnecessary interventions and that with a little education many could be avoided but until women stop wanting the procedures, nothing will change. Until then, its not up to be to judge them for their choices nor do I expect to be judged for mine.

No comments: