Monday, March 10, 2008

poor birdy

Last Friday I played hookie from work. No reason to be there so the whole staff went home. Good times... Anyway, I get home and its pouring rain and starting to lighting and thunder. I have Cha-cha on my shoulder in the bathroom getting ready to clean her nose (yes, its very exciting and she hates it) when a thunder clap spooks her. She jumps off my shoulder and hits the tile. I notice her flight feather is crooked and then I see the bleeding. Great, she has broken a blood feather. As she flaps, blood goes everywhere.

I get her calmed down and get quick-stop packed in there to stop the bleeding. Then I call Jeremy, all upset, to get him to call the e-vet to see what to do. I had him do it b/c our phone books haven't been delivered yet and we haven't had her to the vet here. We find a the only place that sees avian patients and they say the feather has to come out. Well, I cant hold her down and yank a feather with a pair of pliers. So, off to the vet we go. Luckily, she rides pretty well in the car as long as she is on my shoulder. She hates her travel cage. blah blah blah, we get there and it turns out she busted 3 feathers! SO glad I was home when it happened. She was really good for the vet but less than pleased to be there. We spent the rest of the day with me napping and her on the pillow beside me. Poor baby!

Thumper is moving around more. She got pretty feisty Saturday night and I thought Jeremy might be able to feel it but no such luck. I'm reading the Bradley book and a breastfeeding book so my brain is in overload. I need to understand more how to use the Bradley techniques for water labor and birth though. They focus on laying down in a certain position which is not possible in water. However, the water does allow for no pressure so maybe its a wash.

No comments: