Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Craft time

For those that know me well, you know that Amy and crafts just do not get along. I have the ideas down, but follow through is just something that doesn't work out so well. Im not patient and my attention to detail on crafting projects is nonexistent. 

That said, I am SO proud of myself with these plates. My friend Jenn made reindeer plates with her son's hands and feet. They were adorable. Like any good copycat, I took myself down to the local paint your own pottery studio. Once there, 
I begged for help. I wont lie. I looked through her catalog of hand and feet ideas. So cute. Then, there it was. The booty section! Thats right, painted butts of children smooshed onto pottery pieces. So very Amy, right?! 

After reviewing her ideas, I settled on the snowman. I liked that it wasn't screaming obvious that its my child's backside but you can still tell. I had hers to go by so I gave it a whirl. 3 hours later, we were done with 3 plates and an ornament with his hands and feet. Katie was beyond helpful. I stripped Nathan and laid him across my like I was going to spank him. SHe slathered on the white paint and rolled the plate into position. Then she helped me do the hands and feet on the ornament. I could not have done it alone. She even let me put Nathan in her daughter's pack and play so I could work a little easier.  

The grandmas loved them and even Jeremy said they turned out better than he could have imagined. Katie, the owner, says you can get about 3 years out of the butts. I see 2 more Christmas butts in my future =)
You can see the booty right under the snowman's tongue. It is a slightly different color than the rest of the face. 
Admit it, its cuter than you thought, right? Especially knowing that its an Amy creation!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you paint that yourself? That looks great!

Hope you have a Happy New Year

Sara said...

Seriously super cute!

CaneWife said...

Those are adorable! I might have to try your place next time!

Anonymous said...

The plates are awesome, but the process sounds like the masterpiece! Buddy's booty is cute!!!

Emily said...

ok, this is one of the greatest ideas i've ever heard. would have loved to have seen the process!