Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Thanksgiving

We have so much to be thankful for. This year we have been blessed with a home of our own, so many new friends, the ability to forget "the year in Augusta", and welcomed and amazing child. He is happy and healthy. I couldn't hope for more. In my reflections on what to be thankful for last week, I thought about how blessed we are to have such great families. Seriously, my MIL took 6 weeks off of work to be here with Nathan so he wouldnt have to go to daycare so young. Its been an adjustment having her live with us but its been amazing for all of us.

Then I got thinking about dad. Yes, the eternal debate lived on. However, I ended it. I decided that it took for more energy for me to remain hurt and angry than it does for me to move on. So I called and told him about Nathan. I knew in order to move on, I had to have closure on either being angry or on him all together. Looks like it will be closing the door on being hurt and angry. He was so excited. Heather was over the moon. It still remains to be seen how much or if he really changes (meaning him picking up a phone or showing genuine interest on his own) but it doesnt matter. I know I am not the only one with a difficult parent. After talking to a good friend about the whole thing, I feel much less alone. She has to call her mother or she would never speak to her. She reminded me that sometimes the kids have to be the grown ups and just suck it up. So I am. I will call him once a week and update about Nathan. Maybe one day he will ask how things are with me but if not, its ok. As long as he loves Nathan, I am ok.

On with the pictures!
We spent turkey day in St Pete with my family. Grandparents put on a big table with formal setting and the whole shebang. My uncle and cousin surprised us by showing up then my other cousin showed up. One more would have been great but we wont mention any names. ahem, Emily, ahem Alyssa and I used to put black olives on our fingers as kids so we had to teach her daughter, Kira, how to do it too. She wasn't allowed to run around like we did though. We got to break in the white carpet back in the day =) Good times.Nathan wore his madras jacket. He was so stinking cute. The undershirt is an oxford and it was a little big so it looks like an ascot. I promise it isnt though =)While we were there, I made Nathan's stocking. The whole family has them. My mom still uses hers from when she was a kid. Ours are all glued on the front but I am tired of fixing mine so I sewed Nathan's. Mom had stitched the sides to the back but I did all the rest. Mighty fine needlework if I do say so myself. Our 3 stockings look so good over the fireplace.Saturday on the way home, we met dad, Kelly and Heather for dinner. Kelly is my step-mother for those of you without a family tree handy. Heather could not get enough of Nathan. Dad took right too him and cuddled for a long time. It was nice to see. He is all excited about building cars and getting him greasy. Tricycles first dad! Who am I kidding, I had a motorcycle at 4 (it was a real one but had training wheels, so cute), go cart around that time and a 3 wheeler at 5. Oy, makes a momma's head hurt. Maybe remote control things will come first.
This last one is just for fun. What a happy baby! I am amazed and thankful daily.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHOA!!! I'm so happy it's all smiles in the Williams' house! LOVE YOU!!!!

Kimberly said...

He's so cute! Glad you had a happy thanksgiving. And glad things went reasonably well with your dad!

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures from Thanksgiving! I'm glad you got one of Kira carrying the torch on the olive tradition, too! ;)

CaneWife said...

Love the madras. Love it. :) I'm glad things are going well.