Thursday, May 22, 2008

All is well in the world

Ok, my world anyway. I had my 28 wk check up this morning. I have been really anxious about it b/c I thought I was up 12 pounds since my last visit 4 weeks ago. About 1 pound a week is average so 3 is potentially a sign of not so great things. It turns out Im an idiot and looked at my weight 2 visits ago. I only gained 5 pounds, which is perfect. I am up 18 in all now and on a great path. She said my swelling is a normal level. I am eating the tar out of cucumbers and watermelon though. I'll pee an extra time at night to keep the swelling under control. Funny thing about that by the way. Its easier to shave now that Im swollen. Pulls the skin tight I guess.

Anyway, I also had my glucose tolerance test today. Normally, they have you drink a think sugar mixture that resembles thick, flat orange soda. Then you sit for an hour and they test. The birth center does a breakfast instead. I had 2 eggs, 2 pieces of buttered toast, 4 oz OJ and 8 oz milk. I show up 2 hours later and they prick my finger. voila! My glucose was 119 and anything under 140 is good. WHEW! passed that test with flying colors. Gestational Diabetes is something that can make me risk out of their care so I am super happy to be past that.

Then they used the same stick to test my hemoglobin. Over 11 is good and I got 10.2
=( Apparently low iron is common at this point so it wasnt a big shock. I have not eaten nearly my normal amount of red meat lately and Ive been sluggish so again, no shock that Im anemic. I have an iron and B supplement to start on now. Its liquid so I have to take it with OJ. No biggy. They will re-test in about a month.

I am now on a 2 week check up schedule. That makes it awfully real. They had a mom in labor while I was there and it just kind of struck me that it wont be long until that me. You would think I would have "gotten" it a while ago with all the reading and preparation for birth I have done. Not so much. I know he's coming but it just hit me that he is really coming. Its ok to shake your head at me, Im doing it to myself right now too...

Cool things: got my shipment from Children's Place today. Such cute things and all were on a great sale. Ordered the monitor yesterday from Amazon at about half off. I love a good deal!! Then today I was able to pick up the stroller. I bet I have it out of the box within about 15 minutes of being home tonight. Jeremy laughs that Im going to have the teddy bear strapped in and practicing taking it apart. You are damn skippy! I swear you have to have lessons to operate the car seat too. The bear is already in a diaper so why not have him in the car seat and stroller hahaha I'll post pictures for your amusement later.

No comments: