Tuesday, May 6, 2008

last week of 2nd trimester

First things first. Jenn had Turtle last week at 37 weeks. Just barely full term. He has been having problems and could use your prayers. Jenn's blog has the full story but please pray for a healthy baby so he can come home soon.

Grandpa is out of the hospital and getting better at home. We went down this past weekend but he was napping every time we stopped in. He needs his rest so its ok. Mom's house was a bigger disaster than I have seen in a long time. She started getting upset about her depression meds not working and what not. Not having been through her level of depression, I can't relate. I just dont see how someone can let dishes go undone for close to 2 weeks. Rinsing doesnt make it better mom... I expressed our concern for her and offered to help however I can. I just feel like she has to be a grown up and take some responsibility for her life. Its times like this that being an only child is hard. I have no one else to share the burden with. Not a reason to have more than one but I can see the upside of adult siblings.

She apparently is not over the divorce... um its been 18 years!!! She still makes ugly comments about my dad which are totally unnecessary. I told her about my shower being June 21st. Her response "oh, that day huh?" "Yes, is that a problem?" "Well, its just an anniversary you know?" "Yes, I know. its an anniversary of a marriage that no longer exists. let it go, its been long enough" I know, Im heartless.
Then this weekend, she started crying over giving up breast feeding me after 2 weeks. OMFG are you kidding? Its been 30 years and I turned out fine. As a child, the extra 4 IQ points would not have boosted me, I was already at the "genious" level worthy of Mensa for the love of Christ. (mind you, I would not take an IQ test if paid now...) Oh no, I had to hear all about how my grandfather questioned how she knew I was getting enough milk and how when he left my dad questioned it. She she got pissed and just told him to go to the store and by the formula. I explained that without education and research, most anyone would have those questions. Breast fed babies lose up to 10% of their birth weight the first week. Its normal to question it. What I dont get is why she didnt have answers for them. Why give up when you can give answers. She just got so indignant about my father not supporting her back then. My only response was maybe she needed to talk to her therapist b/c its ridiculous to be upset and cry 30 years later.

On an upnote, we bought a couple cloth diapers this weekend. We got a FuzziBunz and a bumGenius 3.0. There are others I want to try too but at least I can start messing with these. My grandmother, who is usually the crankiest person I know, thought they were adorable and didnt understand why you cant get them at Penney's. Maybe one day grandma! My aunt was a total douche about it. I was all excited to show her and she just crapped all over it. Fine, don't like them! My cousin thought they were cool too. Her daughter named the baby Mr. Mint. We really arent sure why but it has since stuck. She wanted to feel him kick and sat so patiently (she is 4) waiting. Then she shook my belly gently to wake him up. So cute.

Birth classes are almost done. We have one more week then a breast feeding class to go. We hired a Doula, Heather, this week too. I am excited to work with her. I think she will be a great resource for both Jeremy and me. She also teaches natural family planning so it will be nice to know her for that too. I really dont want to go back on the pill. Hopefully my other symptoms/signs will be clear and I wont have to temp. I cant see that working with an infant.

Anyway, thats about it for this week. Next Monday will mark the 3rd tri. Its flown so far. Im under 100 days left too which is crazy. We have so much coming up before he gets here.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

1st - WHOA! Your ticker says you only have 97 days!!!

Ok, next. Glad your grandpa is doing better.

And third - I'm sending you a depression email.

Emily said...

i completely understand the only child thing. i love my mom but sometimes it's rough knowing that she depends on me so much, especially not being remarried. so trust me, i get it. i've thought about having 2 kids for just that reason.