Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Thoughts on siblings

I have always thought I would be one and done. I enjoyed being an only child and think I turned out ok. I have my moments but don't we all? My cousin is also an only child and she commented back on my post about mom. She gets it b/c all the weight is on her shoulders too. But her comment about considering more than one child got me thinking. Nothing personal Em, I promise. Is it really wise to have multiple children just so they can have someone with whom to commiserate about me? Is it strange to have an extra child for that reason? She isn't the first person to raise this point but its always struck me as strange. I would HATE to know that I was born to make my sibling's life down the road easier by having another person to dump Jeremy and I on. Maybe thats a skewed way to look at it though. I guess in my limited experience, it tends to be one sibling or another that gets the bulk of the responsibility regardless.

My IL's for example. They live next to my MIL's parents. The other siblings are within about 2 hours each. MIL goes to all Dr's appts, does everything for them. Gladly no doubt but still. Does a phone call to her brother's really help anything? Its still on her to help their parents.

I don't know, I just don't buy having more kids b/c they will be lonely or to have someone help them with aging parents as a valid reason. It is what it is and you deal with it. Aren't cousins for bitching to anyway ;-) I know Alyssa and I have our share of moaning about parents! Maybe Mr Mint and Kira can be close and whine about us too. Em, we need you to throw a 3rd in the mix ok?

2 comments:

Emily said...

oh, i have so much to say. ;) first, i was NOT suggesting you have more kids for them to commiserate about you to each other. I was more commenting on the fact that as I get to know you guys better, sometimes i think maybe having a sibling would have been nice. maybe it's just me, but i felt like there was this instant bond when we saw each other again a couple years ago, something that i don't get with just anyone. i assume it's a family thing. and that made me start thinking about whether more than one kid would be a good idea. being able to commiserate about mom would just be an added bonus. ;) but there's always the argument that some siblings aren't close, etc. you just never know. in general, i would just like to have some family in my kids lives- for me it was really just me and my mom and i wish i had known you and alyssa better when i was younger. but growing up as an only child was good too, no complaints. and i don't buy any of that BS about needing someone to play with. i call it bad parenting when an only child has no one to play with.

on a side note, we are NOT talking about me throwing a kid into the mix yet!!! give me about 3 years and we can talk.............

Amy said...

You know, if Emily would move to Florida, the only children of cousins could become quite close. So far Kira is it from Alyssa (although that may change...) and Thumper is it from us. I think its a idea worth exploring =)