Thursday, June 5, 2008

Babymoon!

This past weekend Jeremy and I took our last vacation before Thumper comes. Friday night, we went to Trace Adkins' concert and had a great time. He isn't very showy but has great songs.

Saturday morning we got up early and headed to Charleston. We got checked in to our B&B and walked around for an hour or so. Such cute little shops! Found a $245 baptism outfit...which stayed on its pretty little hanger! I can't even imagine. Anyway. Jeremy's college roommate and his wife just moved to Charleston a couple months ago so we went to their place to see what they have been up to. Then we all went to dinner and walked around. And by walked, I mean like 5 miles of walking streets. We had such a great time. We took a carriage tour, ate yummy dessert, saw one of my client's art gallery, then walked to the Battery. Amazing homes. I can't even think about living in one of them. So beautiful. We actually ended up getting coasters to bring home that have pictures from the Battery on them. We aren't big into souvenirs so this was a good compromise. We got back to our room around midnight. My feet were killing since I wore my flops. I had no clue we were walking that far! Worth it though.

Sunday we got up, ate breakfast and walked some more. Got some gifts for people and saw the local art festival.

This was taken at the B&B after breakfast. Photogenic I am not...

This is just for Pam. Its the Daughters of the Confederacy building and museum.

After we walked in the morning, we went to Patriot's Point and toured the Yorktown. Jeremy is a big history buff and was happy as a clam to be there.

After I was exhausted from the Yorktown, we headed to Hilton Head. We stayed at the Hilton Resort there and had a fantastic room. They even upgraded us =) It pays to play the pregnant card! Monday morning we got up and walked on the beach. Probably about 2-3 miles in all. We saw tons of sand dollars, crabs, jelly fish, a shark right off the short, a dead baby shark on the shore and a star fish that we put back in the water. It was such a nice walk. Then we went to the pool. I cannot even begin to tell you the joy that a pool brings to a pregnant lady. It felt nice getting in and I could feel the weight being lifted from my belly. Amazing. They have umbrellas in the pool itself so I was able to get some shade. I discovered later that it clearly wasn't enough shade but I digress. Getting out of the pool, that is a whole new level of stupidity. Why would I leave this weightless wonderland?? The difference was incredible. I very clearly could feel every ounce and every pound that my belly has grown. If I could stay submerged for 10 more weeks, I would be all over it. We laid out for a while watching a storm roll in and talking baby names. More on that later. The list has changed...again.... poor kid. We grabbed lunch at a local marina/shopping destination. Very touristy but whatever.

Tuesday morning we got up and went for a 2 hour kayak tour. We lucked out and there were no other people signed up. So we had the guide to ourselves. Did you know tides in HH can be 9 feet or more? We could actually see the water going down over the oyster beds. We saw tons of birds and a few fish. No dolphins though. Here is a Great Blue heron and a Snowy Egret in an oyster bed. This bed was submerged about an hour beforehand.

There is no need to comment on my stylish look. I was so wedged into this boat it wasn't even funny. The life vest was a child's because the adult wouldn't fit over my belly. The hat was Jeremy's personal touch to the ensemble. Whatever though, i was already burned and being covered up helped.

I am SO glad we did this trip. We really haven't been on a vacation since our honeymoon and it was so nice to get away from everything. We would go back to both places in a heart beat. Hilton Head was much less pretentious than I thought it would be. Pleasantly surprised for sure. Now we can settle in to the next few weekends of baby showers and getting ready to meet our little no-named man!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like an incredible trip! :) I am glad that you guys had such a good time. Thumper is going to be here before you know it.

Mrs.Salsaburger said...

I am so glad you had a great time Amy! Where did you guys end up eating and staying in charleston? I also was at the Trace Adkins concert! :)