Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Grown ups...

As if my 30th birthday, bulging belly and purchasing a home do not indicate that I am somewhat of an adult, a meeting with a financial planner sure does. Holy smokes. Only grown ups have that kind of meeting, right?

We decided to bite the bullet and meet with an advisor to get our acts together on investments, retirement and insurance. Owning a home and having a baby are good reasons for life insurance I suppose. So, we decided to meet with Bill (Michelle's husband) since we know him and I trust the advice he would give. We gathered our papers and were prepared for him to laugh at us as Jeremy thinks we are a mess and "po' ". Pleasantly, he told us we were already in much better shape than the average couple our age. In fact, he said we were already more prepared than 50 and 60 year olds he meets with. SCORE! We rolled over our 401ks from prior jobs into traditional IRAs as this is not the year for extra taxes for a Roth roll over. (I sound like I know what Im talking about dont I?? Bill explained things well!) We'll start new Roths moving forward as neither of us have 401k options at work. Next week, we will meet again to discuss life insurance.

If anyone is interested in financial planning/advising, I would recommend Bill in a heartbeat. It was far less scary and intimidating that I expected. I thought only rich people had "planners" but that isn't the case at all. I think most of us could use a little evaluation just to make sure we are growing our money the best way possible.

Next up is meeting with an attorney to draw up a will and guardianship for Thumper. Talk about another grown up thing to do. When did I become an adult?

No comments: